Saturday, July 26, 2008

go local - week 8

My loot from Boise Farmer's Market

This may be the best local week I have had so far. Everything is getting ready to eat. The farmer's market was overflowing with food. I had to restrain myself or I would have had WAY too many things to try and eat. Here is a list of things I found at the market this week:
* 2 beautiful summer squash, a bag of baby eggplants, sweet corn, basil,
and rustic ciabatta bread.

Beautiful baby eggplant from Lazy Dog Farms in Caldwell

With this bounty, some leftover from my last visit to Spyglass Gardens and some of my own vegetables from my little garden I created The Summer Garden Ratatouille from the Simply in Season Cookbook recommended by my friend Heather. It was AMAZING! It is recommended that the ratatouille is served over pasta, but it was so delicious that I just served it as the main course. We also ate fresh sweet corn grilled in the husk and ciabatta bread topped with fresh tomato and basil. YUMMM! I highly recommend this meal. Almost all of the meals we ate this week (well, since we have been home) have had at least some local part to it. I can't wait to start on next week's meal!
xoxo ~ stephanie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got the book and loved the ratatouille. I have not tried that yet, so I will get busy and try it when I get home.

I keep meaning to tell you...there's a lot of religious stuff in that book that I don't read or subscribe to. Not that any of it is bad. I just don't want you thinking I endorse that part of it. It's all about the food for me!!

Enjoy your loot!!

Michelle said...

Local food? Whats that? Turns out Florida doesn't have local food.
Tomorrow we are going to make a very very big effort to find something that is grown in this state for dinner. Please wish us lots of luck!
Oranges are out of season right now.

Jessica said...

I've been thinking about making ratatioulle for a while now. I've seen some baby eggplants make their appearance at the market recently so I think that local meal is coming up!